Tuscany Wine + Culture Tour
six days | five nights
2019 Dates: May 26 - 31
Welcome to Tuscany
Hands down Tuscany is the most famous of Italy's twenty regions — and not without good reason. We could just mention the Renaissance and stop there. But there's so much more. The Italian language was born from the Tuscan dialect thanks to Dante and his Divine Comedy. And then there is its sheer beauty: the proud cypresses standing guard over the rolling hills combed with vineyards and olive orchards. Throw in a cluster of medieval hill towns, castles and abbeys, a viticulture that reaches back to the Etruscans and a hearty cuisine, and I would say, "Cue angels stage right."
Sangiovese is the queen of the grapes in this found paradise and is responsible for all the red wine stars of the region: Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino, Carmignano, and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. And we can't forget Vernaccia, a grape that makes a fantastic dry white wine, Vernaccia di San Gimignano, which was the first wine bestowed with the country's DOC mark of quality. You will experience all of these at truly special wineries on La Dolce Vigna's 6 Day - 5 Night Tuscan adventure. We'll also taste some wonderful extra virgin olive oil and pecorino cheese, hike (or bike) along the ancient pilgrimage road Via Francigena, bake Tuscan bread, explore the Medieval town of Siena, and bask in the beauty of Pienza, which is considered to be an ideal urban expression of the Renaissance. Fairy tales have nothing on this tour.
Tuscany WINE TOUR Highlights
taste tuscany's most important wines at historical and SMALL, FAMILY-RUN wineries handpicked by your sommelier guide
luxuriate in the thermal waters of an ancient roman bath town
visit breathtaking Tuscan hill towns: Montalcino, Montepulciano, San Gimignano
Sample the region's prized pecorino cheese + see how it is made
Enjoy a private city tour of Siena, the medieval rival of Florence
Hike between two Tuscan hamlets and get rewarded with a lovely lunch al fresco
Get your hands dirty with a cooking class of hearty tuscan recipes
Your Luxurious Accommodations in Tuscany
La Dolce Vigna knows the most intimate spots to stay while exploring Tuscany. Depending upon your tour's itinerary, accommodations will be a medieval castle in the heart of Siena, an elegant farmhouse in Chianti and/ or a thermal spa resort in the spectacular setting of Val d'Orcia.
ALL-INCLUSIVE $4300 / person based on double occupancy
Meet Your Sommelier Guide + Founder of La Dolce Vigna
After a decade of working in the art world for eminent institutions and artists in New York, London and around the globe, Leslie moved to Italy, fell in love with Italian wine, and became a certified sommelier with the Associazione Italiana Sommelier. She has lived in Tuscany (Siena) and the Veneto (Venice) and has traveled extensively throughout the country, seeking out small wineries that have a story to tell, local gastronomic wonders, cultural gems and experiences that exude the good life to share with you.
La Dolce Vigna Difference
- Small Groups. Our tours are always limited to a maximum of 10 people to assure you an intimate experience.
- Sommelier Guides. You will always have a certified sommelier guide to answer all of your wine-related questions on the road.
- Family-Run and Historic Wineries. Our tours are centered around small, eco-conscious, family-run wineries that make truly outstanding wine, and packed with cultural insights.
- Foodie Central. Be prepared to eat. A lot. We've picked out amazing spots for you, from the small, loved-by-locals osteria to the Michelin-starred restaurant
- No Cookie Cutter Tours. Depending on the season and local events, we will custom organize the best and most insider experience for each group.
- All-Inclusive. Rest assured that your tour price includes all meals (except for one dinner), activities, hotels, transportation from the moment we meet until our fond farewell.
- Down Time. For those of you who have been on other group tours, you know what we're talking about. Part of living la dolce vigna is taking the time to truly savor your experiences and surroundings. We've built in time for you to do just that at your own pace and on your own terms. Long live slow travel!
- Helping others. Besides helping local, artisanal economies through visiting small wine and food producers, eating at traditional trattorie and staying at charming agriturismi, a donation on behalf of each individual that takes one of our tours will be made to 10,000 Gardens in Africa, a Slow Food initiative aimed at cultivating sustainable and healthy communities throughout Africa.
Looking for a Private wine tour of Italy?
Look no further! In addition to the intimate group tours above, La Dolce Vigna also curates private tours — with or without a guide — based on your dates, interests, and budget in the Veneto, Tuscany, Sicily, Piemonte, Puglia and Basilicata. We will open the doors to an authentic dolce vigna experience complete with exceptional food and wine, colorful personalities, warm hospitality, cultural sites not to be missed and many, many photo-worthy moments. (Trust us.)