Sicily Wine + Culture Tour
Six Days | Five Nights
2017 Dates: October 30 - November 4
2018 Dates: May 21 - 26| October 8 - 14
Welcome to Sicily
One step on the island and you know exactly what Goethe was talking about. Its colorful inhabitants, ancient and motley ancestry, savage nature, proud Baroque towns, endless coasts, humble yet incredibly rich gastronomy (revered by all Italians — especially for the desserts!) and a viticulture that goes back about 4000 years makes Sicily the stuff myths are made of — and, actually, it is: the island is the set for many a Greek and Roman myth, chronicled by Homer, Cicero, Ovid and Virgil.
La Dolce Vigna's 6 Day - 5 Night tour features the eastern part of the island where the majestic Mount Etna — Europe's highest active volcano and Jupiter's famed thunderbolt workshop — dominates the horizon. We will tell you all about and teach you how to pronounce Sicily's native red grapes, Nero d'Avola, Nerello Mascalese, Nerello Cappuccio, Frappato, and white, Inzolia, Catarratto, Grillo, Moscato, and taste the phenomenal wine they produce: Etna Rosso and Etna Bianco, Cerasuolo di Vittoria, Faro, Moscato di Siracusa, Moscato di Noto (don't worry: we'll master how to say those too). Other experiences packed into this Sicilian cornucopia: visits to the charming towns (and UNESCO Heritage Sites) of Taormina, Syracuse, Noto and Modica, a hike through the volcanic terrain of Mount Etna, a guided walk-through of an ancient olive orchard, some pretty exceptional mosaics and tons of gelato.
familiarize yourself with the incredible wines of Eastern sicily at top wineries selected for you by your sommelier guide
hike along the craters of Mt. Etna, Europe's largest active volcano
Experience an 800+ year-old olive orchard + taste the exceptional olive oil it produces
take a private tour of one of Modica's world-renowned handmade chocolate producers
visit the stunning, seaside towns of Taormina, Syracuse, and Noto (All UNESCO heritage sites)
Enjoy unforgettable meals thanks to Sicily's rich culinary tradition
Your Luxurious Accommodations in Sicily
From the historic villa of a Sicilian prince to a converted monastery on Mt. Etna, your accommodations in Sicily will be nothing short of epic.
ALL-INCLUSIVE $4200 / person based on double occupancy
Meet Your Sommelier Guide + Founder of La Dolce Vigna
After a decade of working in the art world for eminent institutions and artists in New York, London and around the globe, Leslie moved to Italy, fell in love with Italian wine, and became a certified sommelier with the Associazione Italiana Sommelier. She has lived in Tuscany (Siena) and the Veneto (Venice) and has traveled extensively throughout the country, seeking out small wineries that have a story to tell, local gastronomic wonders, cultural gems and experiences that exude the good life to share with you.
La Dolce Vigna Difference
- Small Groups. Our tours are always limited to a maximum of 10 people to assure you an intimate experience.
- Sommelier Guides. You will always have a certified sommelier guide to answer all of your wine-related questions on the road.
- Family-Run and Historic Wineries. Our tours are centered around small, eco-conscious, family-run wineries that make truly outstanding wine, and packed with cultural insights.
- Foodie Central. Be prepared to eat. A lot. We've picked out amazing spots for you, from the small, loved-by-locals osteria to the Michelin-starred restaurant
- No Cookie Cutter Tours. Depending on the season and local events, we will custom organize the best and most insider experience for each group.
- All-Inclusive. Rest assured that your tour price includes all meals (except for one lunch), activities, hotels, transportation from the moment we meet until our fond farewell.
- Down Time. For those of you who have been on other group tours, you know what we're talking about. Part of living la dolce vigna is taking the time to truly savor your experiences and surroundings. We've built in time for you to do just that at your own pace and on your own terms. Long live slow travel!
- Helping others. Besides helping the local, artisanal economy through visiting small wine and food producers, eating at traditional trattorie and staying at intimate hotels, a donation on behalf of each individual that takes one of our tours will be made to 10,000 Gardens in Africa, a Slow Food initiative aimed at cultivating sustainable and healthy communities throughout Africa.
looking for a Private wine tour of Italy?
Look no further! In addition to the intimate group tours above, La Dolce Vigna also curates private tours — with or without a guide — based on your dates, interests, and budget in the Veneto, Tuscany, Sicily, Piemonte, Puglia and Basilicata. We will open the doors to an authentic dolce vigna experience complete with exceptional food and wine, colorful personalities, warm hospitality, cultural sites not to be missed and many, many photo-worthy moments. (Trust us.)